[uf-discuss] Jeremy's inline friend link pattern

Jeremy Keith jeremy at adactio.com
Wed Dec 5 17:16:23 PST 2007

Paul Wilkins wrote:
>>  If you're
>> referring to something someone said then that's clearly a
>> citation. What
>> if you're just saying they were present at an event? You can't really
>> cite someone for that.
>>

> Not unless they said or did something. The CITE element really
> shouldn't stand alone, as there's an unstated source/target
> relationship implied in its usage.

I don't believe that's true. The cite element can be used when the
author is referring to something; not when that that something is
doing the referencing. So, for example, if I refer to a book or a
film, I'll enclose that inside a cite element. It can stand alone
because there is no implied relationship other than "this is an entity":

<cite>The Usual Suspects</cite>

<cite>Designing with Web Standards</cite>

I will use that markup even if I'm not quoting or citing anything
from that entity. That seems to be perfectly in line with the spec.

So the cite element is equally applicable when I'm referring to a
person:

<cite>Tantek Çelik</cite>

As far as I can tell, the context around the thing/person being
referenced is irrelevant. The fact that the entity is being
referenced at all is justification enough for the cite element.

Bye,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Keith