[uf-discuss] Hcalendar in bbc.co.uk/programmes

Michael Smethurst Michael.Smethurst at bbc.co.uk
Thu Dec 13 01:27:00 PST 2007

Cc-ing (hopefully) interested bbc parties

Hello Andy

Long time no hear

On 12/12/07 19:02, "Andy Mabbett" <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <C37C79FD.85A3%Michael.Smethurst at bbc.co.uk>, Michael
> Smethurst <Michael.Smethurst at bbc.co.uk> writes
>
>> Just to say that hCalendar is used fairly extensively to describe
>> broadcasts on bbc.co.uk/programmes
>
>> Having said that it's not been through accessibility testing yet so it
>> might not be for long...
>
> It will be interesting to know the outcome of that testing, in the light
> of mark-up like:
>
>         <abbr class="dtstart" title="2007-12-12T16:03:00Z">
>           16:03
>         </abbr>
>
> and the issues raised here:
>
>         <http://www.webstandards.org/2007/04/27/haccessibility/>

I concur wholeheartedly with your concerns. The markup is definitely iffy
from both semantic and accessibility angles. Do you have a better suggestion
for how to mark up a set of broadcasts without repeatedly repeating the full
date(s)? As ever we're happy to receive assistance

I'm also looking forward to hearing the accessibility testing results. To
the best of my knowledge it's the first time ufs have been used in anger on
bbc.co.uk and the bbc semantic markup standards [1] and accessibility
standards [2] have nothing to say on the subject

Personally i've been pushing for the bbc to adopt rdf-a for adding semantics
to html but without operator / promised firefox support for basic
functionality (add to address book / add to calendar) a decision was made to
stick with ufs for now

So I'd be perfectly happy if the accessibility testing said no, no, no and
we could get explicit guidance from the bbc standards on the abbr design
pattern / backing for rdf-a

> Who's doing it?

The markup or the testing?

The markup was from Phil Gyford [3] who being both very talented and very
clever also expressed doubts.

The testing will be done by Gareth Ford Williams [4]

We'll let you know how it pans out

[1] http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/newmedia/technical/semantic_markup.shtml
[2] http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/newmedia/accessibility/
[3] http://www.gyford.com/
[4] gratuitous plug for backstage accessibility podcast:
http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/news/archives/2007/12/podcast_accessi.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/