[uf-discuss] Re: Precise Expansion Patterns

Paul Wilkins pmw57 at xtra.co.nz
Sat Dec 15 15:28:16 PST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 11:52 AM, Martin McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
> The empty <a></a> although valid, seems nasty to me and a little anti!,
> microformats are supposed to represent the data they contain...are they?

As I was saying, this is why there has been so much debate about this
and it's why compromises will have to be made if we're to achieve our
end result.

The elements haven't been designed for what we are trying to use them
for. As such, there will be situations where the only other solutions
have differing levels of tradeoffs.

For example, you can use the following which gives no title display in
both Firefox and IE, but it's largely a hack.

A simple statement of fact is, if you don't want titles to be
displayed then don't wrap them around content.
Humans first and machines second. The empty anchor before the content
appears to fulfil that nicely, more-so than other attempts.

--
Paul Wilkins