[uf-discuss] Re: Precise Expansion Patterns

Paul Wilkins pmw57 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Dec 16 12:29:35 PST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 8:14 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> There are really two questions that we're attempting to answer here:
>
> 1. Can we make screen readers not read the @title, of whatever element
>    we choose, out loud?

Yes, by enclosing no text inside the element.

> 2. Do we care that "PT2M23S" will appear if the person browsing hovers
>    their cursor over the text denoting the duration, if that is the only
>    way we can successfully utilize ISO standards in the Microformats
>    community?

Yes we should care about that. Humans first - if the abbr title isn't
useful to humans, then it needs to be fixed.

The following we should not do:
<abbr class="duration" title="PT2M23S"></abbr>2:23

But we can do something like this:

I don't think that we will find a completely acceptable solution, so
it's a matter of working out what needs are the least important in
maintaining.

--
Paul Wilkins