[uf-discuss] Re: Precise Expansion Patterns

Michael MD mdagn at spraci.com
Mon Dec 17 21:10:41 PST 2007

> This would be acceptable:
>
> Or if we wanted to use the hMeasurement approach:
>                                         seconds</span>

this kind of thing would:

1. add complexity to parsers
2. require people to be very precise in the choice of allowed strings ...
eg: "year"  or "y" , "second" or "seconds" otherwise dates and times may
very quickly degenerate into something not much better than garbled freeform
text dates.
It would also mean a lot more rules for authors to remember which could
result in a lot of invalid markup being published.
If dates/times are no longer machine-readable I would see no longer see much
practical use for any of this!

I am very wary of straying too far from ISO for dates and times
(or at least something that can easily be parsed by
javascript/php/perl/ruby/whatever built-in date functions or commonly used
date libraries)

keep it simple !