[uf-discuss] Microformats, WebApps 1.0 and UI widgets in browsers

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Thu Feb 1 07:32:22 PST 2007

Hi Karl

On 1 Feb 2007, at 15:09, Karl Dubost wrote:
> hCalendar: "description", "summary", "category", "location",
> "status", "last-modified"
> hCard: "adr", "street-address", "email", "geo", etc.
> and plenty others.
>
> You seem to have missed the bit where I was saying that any
> mechanisms for switching being a specific class surrounding class
> names, a profile URI attribute, etc would be fine.

I'm not sure I see the problem here. Those class names are indeed
generic and used all over the web, but they should only trigger user
interface enhancements when they are children of ‘vcard’, ‘vevent’,
‘hatom’, ‘hatom’ elements.

UI would surely only respond to valid and complete microformats on a
page, not the sub-parts of them.

> In my pages for example, I have started to change my instances of
> title for titre, and author to auteur, because I do not want to
> have to trigger something I didn't want.

Again, unless I've missed something in the above, that isn't
necessary as those title and author class names are children of an
appropriate microformat parent element, so would be ignored by a
microformats parser.

Please could you elaborate if I've misunderstood the implications of
your concern.

Kind regards,

Ben