[uf-discuss] mime types and microformats

Charl van Niekerk charlvn at charlvn.za.net
Thu Feb 1 07:48:34 PST 2007

On 2/1/07, Rob O'Rourke <rob at sanchothefat.com> wrote:
>     I have a question regarding mime types and microformat parsing, an
> area i find thoroughly confusing because of the differences in opinion
> on the web. I just read an article [1] that goes on about serving XHTML
> as text/html and why it's bad. It seems fair enough but I see it all
> over the place even on websites of experts like ppk, tantek's site,
> wordpress blogs etc... so I do it myself. The article suggests that
> XHTML doctype or no if it's served as text/html then it's treated as
> HTML. Secondly the wiki definition states they must be in (x)HTML/XML
> documents. If (x)HTML documents when served as text/html are treated as
> HTML how are the microformats still working? Does this mean microformats
> will work under an HTML 4.01 doctype?
>
> I might have the wrong end of the stick if the mime type only relates to
> browser rendering and compatibility... like I said I'm confused.

I use Microformats on two of my websites, both inside of HTML 4.01
Strict, and most parsers seem to read them perfectly. Microformats
integrates nicely into both XHTML and HTML; it uses the class
attribute which is defined for both so I think you don't need to worry
about using Microformats inside of either.

Some examples:

http://charlvn.virafrikaans.com/contact
http://gross.org.za/calendar

Cheers,