[uf-discuss] Andy Mabbet's moderation

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Feb 1 10:34:12 PST 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 11:20 AM, Joe Andrieu wrote:

> Tantek, et Cabal,
>
>> From the last blat of messages from Andy, I'm presuming that he is
>> still
>> being moderated?

I don't know the answer to that question.  I would only presume that
Andy believes he is still being moderated, but I don't know how he'd
know that unless he were still sending inappropriate messages to the
list, in which case, wouldn't that be a good indication that
moderation is still needed?

> That punishment was to be for only a week.

Moderation should not be used as punishment, and I don't believe that
was the intent here.

On Jan 3, 2007, at 6:01 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> I am sorry to do this, but your continued inability to listen to the
> requests that have been made, and your continued flood of meta-
> discussion
> emails on the list have left me no other choice in order to
> maintain the
> quality of discussion on this list.

Maintaining the quality of discussion on this list seems a good goal,
and moderation seems to be a good means of achieving that goal.

As far as timetables, as I recall there was discussion of *banning*
Andy for one week.  That was instead changed to moderation, which
requires more work by admins, but allows Andy to continue posting
appropriate messages to this list.  There was no suggestion made
about the length of this moderation.

Joe wrote:

> And if he is still
> being moderated, I would kindly ask that you allow him to post without
> restriction.

I'm not clear on the perceived damage of long-term moderation.  If it
allows the good stuff in and keeps the bad stuff out, I see no harm.
If it's keeping good stuff out, I would be very interested in seeing
some of this good stuff that was kept out, as it would cause me to
question moderation itself, regardless of length.

Peace,
Scott