Moderation [was RE: [uf-discuss] Andy Mabbet's moderation]

Colin Barrett timber at lava.net
Fri Feb 2 04:04:38 PST 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 12:53 PM, Joe Andrieu wrote:

> And to say that the community had a say in Tantek's
> action is about as valid as saying the American public had a say in
> George Bush's recent troop increase.

You are treading dangerously close to invoking Godwin's Law[1] here,
and a number of other places in your recent messages.

I'd ask that you refrain from this sort of thing. It's certainly
possible to address these issues without comparisons like that, and it
would certainly be welcome, I think, by all involved.

Again, in general, I've found your tone to be disrespectful to the
integrity of all members of this list, by implying that we would allow
a tyrannical "government" to rule over the unknowing masses, and
particularly to the outstanding  administrators of this list, who have
been *extremely* measured in their response to many members of this
list, something for which I applaud them -- having been on the other
side of the coin it's extremely easy to just remove someone from the
equation, but they have bent over backwards (IMO) to accommodate Andy,
calling them dictators totally unnecessary just plain incorrect on a
variety of levels.

Is there room for improvement? Always. Is this the place to talk about
it? Probably. Is comparing them to a secret police or to an unpopular
sitting American president necessary or helpful to the debate?
Probably not.

-Colin

[1] http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/G/Godwins-Law.html