Vote on this: rel="me self" to indicate an authoritative hCard {was: Re: [uf-discuss] Authoritative hCards [was RE: Canonical hCards (was: Search on CSS element)]}

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Feb 7 12:03:25 PST 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 4:06 PM, Ben Ward wrote:

>> Chris Messina:
>>>  <address><a href="http://factoryjoe.com/blog/hcard/#hcard"
>>> class="fn
>>> url" rel="me self">Chris Messina</a></address>
>>>

> John Allsopp:
>> The "definition" of the self attribute value in Atom is "self: the
>> feed itself". The term "the" seems to indicate "definitiveness".
>> So, I was initially going to argue that "self me" was
>> tautological, but in fact, in this sense it is not, and indeed,
>> the addition of bookmark is probably tautological.
>>
>> So, I'd probably +1 this suggestion, […]
>
> +1 from me as well.
>
> Can we gauge wider support for this addition? Any problems from
> anyone?

Yes there are several problems:

1. XFN applies to whole pages. This means that you can't reliably put
different people's hCards on the same page and do this.

2. We have prior art that is being ignored. Publishers are already
using <a class="url uid" ...>...</a> to do this.

I apologize for being late to this discussion, but I think it's off
track and we need to correct things a bit.

-ryan
--
Ryan King
ryan at technorati.com