[uf-discuss] UID URL to indicate (relatively) more authoritative hCard (Was: Vote on this: rel="me self" to indicate an authoritative hCard)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Feb 8 15:29:26 PST 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 4:29 PM, David Janes wrote:

>> That the authoritative hCard is the
>> one that _doesn't_ have a UID, i.e. potentially has less information
>> than a fragment hCard?!

I think this is how authority generally works in practice, from
external references.

>> Here's one potential usage snag:
>> - I copy the hCard at http://theryanking.com/blog/contact/#vcard
>> to my
>> "address book"
>> - I use it somewhere (to refer to Ryan King)
>> - It doesn't have a UID, so there's no tracing it back to source

Right, not every fragment will point back to the source.  I don't
think we can solve that problem without assuming pointers where none
were intended, which would cause a much larger problem.

> And to do the dreaded "answering own e-mail", here's an alternate:
>
> - fragment hCards do not need to have "uid", just "url"
> - consumers (if they're interested) can dereference that URL
> - if there is a UID hCard at the URL, dereference it
> - the dereferenced hCard is the authoritative one

So if I point my hCard to my employer's website, where they have an
hCard for the organization, my hCard is then replaced by my
employer's?  I don't think we can safely expand the meaning of "url"
like that.  Right now, it only suggests some vague association
between the object of the hCard (e.g. me), and the destination (e.g.
my employer's website).  Acting as a pointer to a more authoritative
hCard is a more specific meaning, and would invalidate a large number
of already-published hCards.

Peace,
Scott