[uf-discuss] Identity-related hCards?

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Tue Feb 20 12:23:15 PST 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Ryan King wrote:

> However, the simpler problem of two hcards representing the same
> person (or organization) should be solved first, because it is a
> simpler problem, with a simpler solution (which may not require
> adding any properties to hCard).

The implication I've always taken from the "simpler problem first"
principle is that this makes the more complex problems easier to
solve.  But this is only true if the simpler problem actually helps
solve the more complex problem.  Related hCards is also a simpler
problem than book citations, but we don't half that discussion
because solving the simpler problem has no descernable impact on the
more complex problem.  I think what's confusing those of us
interested in the more complex problem of authoritative hCards is how
solving related hCards would actually help solve that problem.

And maybe that's because what you're describing is actually more
specific that "related hCards" implies.  It seems here you're just
talking about a single relationship: identity.  My brother's hCard is
related to mine, but those aren't two hCards representing the same
person.  If representing the same person is your primary use case, I
don't think "related hCards" communicates this very clearly.
Similarly, "canonical" didn't communicate the concept of
"authoritativeness" very clearly, because it suggested much more than
we needed.  I'm not sure what would be a better word to communicate
identity relationships, but I think that would clear up a lot of
confusion if the above is the full scope of the problem you're trying
to solve.  If, however, you are trying to also come up with a way for
me to indicate that my brother's hCard is related to mine, I don't
see how that will move the authoritative hCard problem forward at
all, and it seems to unnecessarily complicate the issue.  Identity is
a simpler problem than relationships in general, right?  And it's
also a clear building block toward authoritative hCards.  So what
about focusing on that simple problem instead of a more general
"related hCards"?

Peace,
Scott