[uf-discuss] Re: [hcite] indentifier

Guillaume Lebleu gl at brixlogic.com
Thu Feb 22 11:05:56 PST 2007

Ryan Cannon wrote:
> I'm not sure we want to get into the morass of defining values for TYPE,
> but if an identifier is for a specific resource, we should allow a way
> to tell which resource it's from.
I have been thinking of identifiers in the context of another standard.
I think this could be a separate recommendation from the hCite, which
could be reused in other contexts.

The conclusion of my analysis are:

Every identifier is a collection of predicates of the subjects that
together uniquely identify the entity (ex. book title, book author, and
book edition year and type - if that works).

Using lexical identifiers 'shortcuts' to these collection of predicates
can be useful.

I call these lexical identifiers "issued identifiers" and sometimes,
some of these predicates happen to be issued identifiers themselves.

An issued identifier is issued by another entity.

This other entity may have also been issued an identifier (typically a
domain name).

At the end, all these identifiers can be tracked back to a single root
identifier issuer.

In addition, an issued identifiers may be permanent, or may expire.

My 2 cents

Guillaume