[uf-discuss] Introduction; music microformat

Marian Steinbach marian.steinbach at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 06:10:33 PST 2007

Hello everybody!

I'd like to briefly introduce myself to the list.

I just joined the list because I am interested in the development of
(a) "music" microformats.

I am running an experimental spider that tries to gather information
about downloadable music from web pages. The problem here is of course
that metadata in ID3 tags is pretty "expensive" to access, both for
the spider and the publisher.

For those of you who haven't heard about the Songbird project (which I
am NOT part of) yet, they have the exact same problem. When a Songbird
user acesses web pages, Songbird scans the page for media links. It
then tries to acces ID3 information within the audio files in order to
extract title, artist, album, genre and duration.

Songbird developers are thus interested in supporting a Microformat
for music/audio/media links. You can read a (very short) discussion
here: http://www.songbirdnest.com/node/1356

According to my research, the music/media-info seems to be stalled
right now. However, I see a huge demand for some format that allows
for very, very simple description of music references.

A whole lot of problems around this have already been adressed within
this group and elsewhere. I'd be happy to learn from you guys about
what's missing.

Cheers,

Marian Steinbach