[uf-discuss] Introduction; music microformat

Digital Spaghetti digitalspaghetti at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 26 08:04:27 PST 2007

Hi Marian,

I am interested in this as well, from a content provider point-of-view.
I am the main developer for a music management company, and I'd like a
way to mark up our websites (both corporate and the band's) with their
discography's and tag it using some sort of music microformat.

 From my point of view, I'd like to include obvious things such as
Artist, Album title, track titles, track length, etc as well as other
non-obvious stuff such as publisher, ISRC codes, territory releases
(i.e. UK, Japan, US, Canada, etc).  I could see this being useful if
other music publishers took up the use of this microformat, so anyone
parsing the data can rely on it being accurate if from a trusted source.

One idea might be rather than looking at ID3 is to try find out how a
large service (such as iTunes) stores their metadata, and seeing if that
can be directly applied to semantic markup.

Regards,
Tane