[uf-discuss] Introduction; music microformat

Ian McKellar ian at mckellar.org
Mon Feb 26 10:22:00 PST 2007

Hi,

I've been lurking on this list for a while and I've recently joined Songbird.

Beyond support for expressing the kind of metadata encoded in ID3 in
HTML around links I'd like to see some more conventions around
defining what parts of the content are semantically related to
particular MP3 links. One starting point might be to look to the model
of expressing lists of MP3s with associated metadata (simple ID3
metadata and richer social or commentary metadata) in the hAtom
framework using the concept of enclosures.

I could imagine I would want to associate hReview, hCard (for either
the artist perhaps), hCal (if it's a live recording) and who knows
what else in the future. Even if a crawler can just work out which
chunk of the page to extract words associated with the music file from
I think that's a huge win.

Ian

On 2/26/07, Marian Steinbach <marian.steinbach at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I'd like to briefly introduce myself to the list.
>
> I just joined the list because I am interested in the development of
> (a) "music" microformats.
>
> I am running an experimental spider that tries to gather information
> about downloadable music from web pages. The problem here is of course
> that metadata in ID3 tags is pretty "expensive" to access, both for
> the spider and the publisher.
>
> For those of you who haven't heard about the Songbird project (which I
> am NOT part of) yet, they have the exact same problem. When a Songbird
> user acesses web pages, Songbird scans the page for media links. It
> then tries to acces ID3 information within the audio files in order to
> extract title, artist, album, genre and duration.
>
> Songbird developers are thus interested in supporting a Microformat
> for music/audio/media links. You can read a (very short) discussion
> here: http://www.songbirdnest.com/node/1356
>
> According to my research, the music/media-info seems to be stalled
> right now. However, I see a huge demand for some format that allows
> for very, very simple description of music references.
>
> A whole lot of problems around this have already been adressed within
> this group and elsewhere. I'd be happy to learn from you guys about
> what's missing.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Marian Steinbach

Ian McKellar <http://ian.mckellar.org/>
ianloic on [flickr | aim | yahoo | skype]
ian at mckellar.org on [email | jabber | msn]