[uf-discuss] Extending hCard and hCalendar vs. strict adherence to vcard and vCalendar.

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 07:52:08 PST 2007

On 1/4/07, Breton Slivka <zen at zenpsycho.com> wrote:
> ,
>   <abbr class="dod" title="18650415">April 15, 1865</abbr>
>

> Then, someone can correct me if this is incorrect, when a client
> written to deal with DoD encounters class="dod", it can import it
> with an "x-" prefix (for vendor specific properties, as allowed by
> vcard, I think) rather than try and do fancy things with notes. (see
> note above about client author disagreements).

--- i'll keep this breif because we are toeing that fine-line between
discuss and dev lists. If you want to chat more about this, we can
take this to the dev list.

The problem with random x- prefixes is that a parse can NOT determine
if the value 'dod' is meant to convey semantics (date of death) or
that is purely a CSS style.

For instance:

what becomes 'x-???' in vcard and what doesn't?

BEGIN:VCARD
FN:Abraham Lincoln
X-PRESIDENT:Abraham Lincoln
X-BLUE-BOX:Abraham Lincoln
X-CALL-OUT:Abraham Lincoln
X-ALERT:Abraham Lincoln
END:VCARD

Because of this, there has not been any attempt to add in the 'X-'
parameters into the parsing rules.

If you (or anyone) is still interested, feel free to email the dev-list.

Thanks,
-brian

--
brian suda