[uf-discuss] Governance Issues Re: Banning for meta-discusion

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Thu Jan 4 09:11:02 PST 2007

Hi all,

On Jan 3, 2007, at 5:42 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:
> That being said, I still believe it is important to track *any*
> outstanding
> issue - even meta-issues like governance, so that we as community
> don't
> forget them, and have the opportunity/reminder resolve them, even
> if it
> takes a while.  I encourage you to add such issues that you see to the
> general issues page:
>
>  http://microformats.org/wiki/issues

Okay, I've done my best to follow the format there and add a formal
issue around "Governance":

http://microformats.org/wiki/microformats-issues#Governance_Issues

Hopefully others can expand/clean it up as necessary.

For the record, while I completely agree with Colin that we would
benefit from a more transparent (and perhaps slightly gentler)
process, I deeply appreciate Tantek's courage, humility, and
graciousness in attempting to deal with this situation.  I too have
had to moderate mailing list disputes [1], and I know how difficult
it is to find the right balance between helping people feel "safe"
and ensuring they feel "free."  We may never get it right (so I
second the call for a meta-list :-), but I feel very privileged to be
part of a community that hasn't stopped trying.

-- Ernie P.

[1] Moderator's Verdict: The Justice of Comedy <http://urlx.org/
radicalcentrism.org/b5fbb>