[uf-discuss] hCalendar and iCalendar parameters

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sat Jan 6 23:59:27 PST 2007

On 1/6/07 10:32 PM, "Robert Sayre" <sayrer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed that many properties in iCalendar allow optional
> "parameters", which seem similar to XML attributes. For example, the
> LOCATION property (RFC2445, section 4.2.10) defines a language
> parameter.
>
> I fished around for explanations on this, but didn't find anything.
> What is the hCalendar way of representing these? Or, preferably, the
> hCalendar way of explaining why these aren't needed? :)

To answer the specific question of the language parameter - the answer is
that (X)HTML already defines the "lang" attribute on every element for this.

See for example the explanation in hCard authoring which also uses "lang":

 http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-authoring#Set_the_lang_when_different

Just now also added to http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-faq

If there are any other specific questions (rather than a general theoretical
question :) we can address them accordingly.

Thanks,

Tantek