[uf-discuss] Tagging Tag-spaces

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Wed Jan 10 03:31:13 PST 2007

On 12/24/06, Ben Ward <lists at ben-ward.co.uk> wrote:
> So my tag space is now itself tagged with the same tag name on two
> external resources. Does this mean anything?

The URL establishes which tagging authority the tag is from.  Whether
a parser looks at that is left up to them - just the tag itself will
be enough for many uses.

One note on Wikipedia as a tagging authority, the spec says that the
destination page "is required to be a tag space (a place that collates
or defines tags)", which things like Wikipedia only are if you squint
a bit.

I think the use of this sort of site stems from rel-tag being applied
to more generic 'categorisation' tasks in other uFs, where the user
might not have a tagging index set up.  It's worth considering whether
the wording of the spec should be changed IMO.

-Ciaran McNulty