[uf-discuss] Hidden elements considered harmful (Was: Inline styleconflict?)

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 06:47:44 PST 2007

Scott Reynen wrote:
> In general: hiding elements only hides them from humans, and
> leaves the content more accessible for machines than humans.
> Microformats are for humans first.  For publishers: hidden
> elements are less likely to be kept up-to-date.

Counterpoint:  For data generated from a database where the data is visible
elsewhere, this becomes a specious argument.

John Allsopp wrote:
> I think the fate of the meta element (unused by any search
> engine) pretty much demonstrates the difficult with invisible
> meta data

Counterpoint: These are specious arguments in the context of metadata that
is more tightly constrained and of the type that would provide spammers
little or no benefit. For example, I am not aware of spammers using <LINK>
elements yet <LINK> elements are invisible metadata that are used
appropriately on the web today.

It really makes more sense to look at the use-case rather than to issue a
blanket edit of prohibition.  FWIW.

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/