[uf-discuss] [citation] citation root element

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 05:11:33 PST 2007

On 1/17/07, Michael McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a note about using <cite> as the recommended root element - I
> don't feel strongly about this - does anyone else? I suppose a final
> standard should have a note to suggest using <cite> when appropriate,
> but I'm not concerned about it now.

--- i don't feel it is appropriate for us to mandate how to encode
microformats. If i want to create a citation in prose inside a
paragraph, then i should be able to 'hang' the class="hcite" on the
block-level <p> or <div>. Microformats are all about NOT changing
user's behavior, but forcing the use of the inline <cite> element we
are defining that behavior.

That said, the <cite> element does certainly convey some additional
semantics and SHOULD be used, but i would avoid MUST. This parallels
the <address> element discussion for several other formats.

-brian

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk