[uf-discuss] Vote Links: rel="voted-for"

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 07:57:04 PST 2007

On 18 Jan 2007, at 21:23, Ara Pehlivanian wrote:
> I don't agree that you can simply use rel="vote-for" because it
> incorrectly gives the impression that you're "voting for" when really
> you were "voted for",

It doesn't give the impression that you're ‘voting for’ though — the
use of rev or rel attribute determines that.

URL A is a vote for URL B.

That is the statement described by vote links.

Which of those URLs is the current page is determined by choice of
rel or rev, *not* a grammatical variant of the word ‘vote’.

> rel="voted-for"
> rel="voted-against"
> rel="vote-abstained"

The only difference here is the tense of the word ‘vote’. Moving
‘vote’ from the present tense to the past tense doesn't change the
direction of the relationship.

rel="vote-for" would mean ‘The page I am linking to is a vote for
this page’
rev="vote-for" means ‘This page is a for for the page I am linking to’

Separate terms are really not needed to express what you're asking for.

Ben