[uf-discuss] Making Microformats Searchable

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Sat Jan 20 18:56:56 PST 2007

On Jan 20, 2007, at 7:38 PM, Nir Yariv wrote:

> The idea is simply to have a standard text that can be added to a Web
> page containing mf-ed content. For example, "mf_hReview". Since the
> text exists outside of tags, it is indexed by existing search engines,
> and thus a Google search for "mf_hReview Dylan Highway 61" would yield
> reviews of that album. (Obviously there will be texts for
> hCalendar/hCard etc, facilitating searches for "mf_hCalendar barCamp",
> for example)

Hi Nir,

As you point out in your post, there are already a few search engines
for microformats.  If these search engines can find microformats, it
seems Google could as well.  They just need to start looking.  My
concern with your solution is that it puts the burden of solving this
problem primarily on publishers rather than search engines.  Because
publishers vastly outnumber search engines, the burden should really
remain on the search engines as it is currently.

Peace,
Scott