[uf-discuss] Microformats and forms

Wolfgang Wiese xwolf at xwolf.de
Thu Jan 25 05:35:13 PST 2007

Hi
> Hi Chris, that's an interesting application idea but I think the idea
> behind a microformat is to describe content in the HTML document in a
> standardized format (based on common usage elsewhere such as vCard)
> rather than store it externally (for use by the browser to populate a
> form).

I dont think this is the point, Chris wanted to focus on.
If there would be a standarized format how to descripe form elements
it would help developers of extentions, plugins and useragents to
automatically prefill it. (Instead of just guessing if its possibly a
login-field).

There are two examples, which come in my mind:

a) to solve the problems, several screenreaders get by
   "displaying" form fields. E.g. yaws form-mode.
b) to add site search engines to the browsers search bar without
   the need of javascript or an index like http://mycroft.mozdev.org/

Regards,
  Wolfgang