Vote on this: rel="me self" to indicate an authoritative hCard {was: Re: [uf-discuss] Authoritative hCards [was RE: Canonical hCards (was: Search on CSS element)]}

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Wed Jan 31 08:15:10 PST 2007

On Jan 31, 2007, at 9:49 AM, Ara Pehlivanian wrote:
> Just to stir the pot a little, and maybe it's a good idea to consider
> authenticity in the whole discussion of authoritative cards. What
> guarantees that when someone creates an hCard and puts rel="me self"
> that they are giving the correct URL and that it isn't someone
> impersonating you?

I'm getting into this late, but isn't the entire concept behind
rel="me"?
rel="me" links *must* be symmetric in order to create a distributed
verification system?. It's definition is "A link to yourself at a
different URL"[1]. According to the spec, rel="self me" is invalid
*unless*
you do not include the XFN profile on your Web site.

-1 to rel="self me"

[1]: http://www.gmpg.org/xfn/11#me

--
Ryan Cannon