Vote on this: rel="me self" to indicate an authoritative hCard {was: Re: [uf-discuss] Authoritative hCards [was RE: Canonical hCards (was: Search on CSS element)]}

Ara Pehlivanian ara.pehlivanian at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 09:24:55 PST 2007

On 1/31/07, Ben Ward <lists at ben-ward.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2007, at 16:15, Ryan Cannon wrote:
> > It's definition is "A link to yourself at a
> > different URL"[1].
>
> Correct. Which is still valid in the rel="me self" case.
>
> > According to the spec, rel="self me" is invalid *unless*
> > you do not include the XFN profile on your Web site.
>
> Sorry, I've got muddled here. According to which spec? Are you
> referring to the "Exclusive of all other XFN values" part of the
> @rel=me spec [1]? That's also maintained, as @rel=self is not part of
> XFN, but (propositionally) of hcard.
>
> [1]  http://www.gmpg.org/xfn/11#me
>
> Ben

Ben,

Don't you think he has a point though? If you think of it, rel="me"
could suffice in that it refers to yourself at another URL (in line
with the idea of an authoritative hCard) and once you get there and
read that hCard and discover that it doesn't contain a rel="me", you
know you're at the authoritative card. In that sense, why add "self"?
Or am I now missing something?

A.