Vote on this: rel="me self" to indicate an authoritative hCard {was: Re: [uf-discuss] Authoritative hCards [was RE: Canonical hCards (was: Search on CSS element)]}

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Wed Jan 31 09:47:30 PST 2007

On 31 Jan 2007, at 17:24, Ara Pehlivanian wrote:
> Ben,
>
> Don't you think he has a point though? If you think of it, rel="me"
> could suffice in that it refers to yourself at another URL (in line
> with the idea of an authoritative hCard) and once you get there and
> read that hCard and discover that it doesn't contain a rel="me", you
> know you're at the authoritative card. In that sense, why add "self"?
> Or am I now missing something?

The authoratitive hcard will also contain @rel="me". Firstly, to
fulfil XFN it must link back to the linking resource and as a full
hCard it will still contain URLs with @rel="me" pointing to the other
sites I own.

@rel=me indicates that the URL on the end of it belongs to the same
person
@rel=self is adopted from the definition of self in Atom. Quoting
John Allsopp: The "definition" of the self attribute value in Atom is
"self: the feed itself".

My understanding therefore, is that @rel=me indicates that it is the
same person. @rel=self indicates that it is the same hcard. Therefore
the absolute authoritative hcard we speak of may (I expect will)
contain other links with @rel=me but will not contain a link with
@rel=self.

Ben