[uf-discuss] definitive hCard on a page

Kevin Marks kevinmarks at mac.com
Wed Jul 4 23:47:09 PDT 2007

On Jul 4, 2007, at 5:32 AM, Pelle W wrote:

> Thom Shannon skrev:
>> What would be the way to markup a hCard as being the definitive
>> hCard on a page. For example the page owner or author. My blog has
>> hCards of friends and commenters, as well as my own. But I'd like
>> a programmatic way to identify mine, mainly to access information
>> about me at my openid.
>>
>> Would it be a category? And is there any convention emerging for
>> the name of such a category?
> What about using XFN and that way defining you as yourself?| For me
> that would be:|

>   <a class="url fn" href="http://pelle.vox.nu/" rel="me">Pelle
> Wessman</a>

As others have said, using <address> works when the person is the
principal author of the page - see twitter for examples of this  (eg
http://twitter.com/kevinmarks has me in the address block and the
other 200+ not)

rel="me" also works in the case where the page is a proxy for the
author, but you cna have multiple rel="me" links

The other hCard property that is useful here is "uid" - if you do a

   <a class="url fn uid" href="http://pelle.vox.nu/" rel="me">Pelle
Wessman</a>

on the page http://pelle.vox.nu that is asserting that the page is a
unique id and thus definitive for Pelle.

You can of course use "uid" to assert the definitiveness of another
hCard's url, but one pointing to the current page is clearly self-
consistent. If you think of a site like Yelp, look at

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jRF_IanvH-LYY04Ce9NYQA

if they were to add hCards to their pages, putting uid on the links
would help, and making the title of "Sushi on the Run" link to the
current page, as it is then clear that the self-pointing link is the
definitive one for that page, but the sidebar hCards and "you might
also like" ones are breifer ones thet link through to the full hCard
on the page.