[uf-discuss] Re: Generating valid unique IDs for hAtom

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 09:12:15 PDT 2007

On 16 Jul 2007, at 11:08, Toby A Inkster wrote:
> As for #2, it's
> fixing the wrong problem: if changing permalinks causes the Atom ID to
> change, then you should fix your permalinks which are not supposed to
> change!

Of course _perma_links are not supposed to change. But I think the
point that Mark Pilgrim makes, and one that I agree with, is that
principal does and will collapse in real-world tools.

Migrating between CMS systems, rebranding to a new domain name,
switching advocacy to support the ‘no-WWW’ movement? All perfectly
likely and reasonable things to do, which CMS's generating permalinks
have not been designed to support and a problem which, regardless of
the ideal, many (most?) authors simply won't account for.

There may not be a solution to this. Fitting a tag URI into page
content seems clumsy for sure, and those same CMS systems that make
position to ‘fix’ the problem. But I think we should try to exhaust
the non URL options thoroughly.

Ben