[uf-discuss] [hCard] Implied type=work

Ben Buchanan microformats at 200ok.com.au
Tue Jul 17 07:24:07 PDT 2007

> All existing implementations I've tested converted such hCard into
> vCard with "phone" and "url" set as private (home).
> I don't see such optmisation being mentioned in hcard spec so maybe
> it's intentional. If so - why?

I've found type issues to be perhaps the most annoying thing about
trying to create corporate hCards. In the real world, having to
visibly set the type means having to hide text that just doesn't sound
right. AFter all, on a corporate website you'd never naturally say
"work phone".

As to why it's not in the spec, I suspect that'd be because it wasn't
in vCard (IIRC).

> And second question, how you'd markup "url" property as "type=work"?

The underlying problem is that vCard doesn't/didn't have any type
options for URLs, so it didn't flow through to hCard. I personally
would be happy to use multiple classes to type certain values, but
that pattern has been rejected. Cest la vie.

cheers,
Ben

--
--- <http://weblog.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not