[uf-discuss] Re: Voluntary Public Domain declarations now enabled on the wiki

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Jul 20 16:40:59 PDT 2007

In message <46A13930.40409 at digitalbazaar.com>, Manu Sporny
<msporny at digitalbazaar.com> writes

>The wording of the current template isn't explicit about past
>contributions. The statement could be interpreted as "all future
>contributions" since most legal statements are not retroactive unless
>explicitly stated.

I doubt that any person trained in law would support that
interpretation.

>  Please consider adding "retroactively" or "all past, present and
>future contributions" to the text.

I think any attempt to change the terms of a statement whereby people
have released some of their rights, after they have done so, to make it
appear that they may have relinquished additional rights, would be
regarded as highly suspect and of no legal standing,.

If you want to apply new - and especially more relaxed - terms, each
individual will have to agree to them again.

--
Andy Mabbett