[uf-discuss] Re: Voluntary Public Domain declarations now enabled on the wiki

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Jul 20 17:31:32 PDT 2007

On 7/20/07 4:35 PM, "Andy Mabbett" <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> I applaud him for doing so; but, at the time of writing, copyright in
> both hCalendar and hCard is still claimed, in part, by "Technorati,
> Inc.", by virtue of their being one of the three listed authors,

Technorati is not listed as an author, but merely my (and a few others')
affiliation at the time of authoring the spec(s).

However, I can very much see how that could be misinterpreted so I have
edited the affiliation text of the specifications of which I am an
author/editor/contributor to be in the style used by W3C specifications:

 Author (Affiliation[s]), ...

> (Interestingly, Tantek says he's released the Geo and Adr specs into the
> public domain, but Technorati are credited as either co-author or his
> employer (the designation is not clear) - have they relinquished their
> rights?)

I have clarified the affiliation per the above stylistic edit, and yes, all
the work I have done on microformats when employed by Technorati was done
very much in and for the community and I have taken the extra step of
releasing my work into the public domain to be even more explicit.

I continue to encourage all microformats community members to release their
contributions to the Public Domain.  Doing so without waiting for any other
particular conditions demonstrates a strong commitment to contributing to
the public good and sets a good example for others as well.

Thanks,

Tantek