[uf-discuss] Mediawiki accesskey shortcut usage instructions

Paul Wilkins paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jul 25 16:42:58 PDT 2007

From: "Andy Mabbett" <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk>
> CTRL-S on my machine. *when editing a wiki page*, causes my browser to
> open a dialogue to save a local copy of the editing form.

When editing a wiki page you're right. The Accesskey is ctrl on IE5/Mac and
it's variations of the alt key on most other browsers. The exceptions to
this tend to be Firefox 2 with alt-shift, Opera with shift-esc, and ancient
browsers that don't support Accesskeys.

Getting back to where this all started, the instruction in question is "use
CTRL S to save"
That's only valid if the browser is something like IE5/Mac

It could be a lot better if it said
"Accesskeys differ according to your browser." which links off to a page
that explains about Accesskeys, followed by "use ACCESSKEY S to save"

--
Paul Wilkins