[uf-discuss] Microformats gets strong showing in Firefox 3 UI

Pelle W mejllistor at kodfabrik.se
Mon Jun 4 12:40:13 PDT 2007

Mike Kaply skrev:
> On 6/3/07, John Beales <john at johnbeales.com> wrote:
>> > Things can still change, but after talking a bit with the Firefox 3
>> > folks - Microformats are starting to look more and more like they're
>> > going to be supported in a big way in the next major release of the
>> browser.
>> >

>> http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007/06/01/the-user-interface-of-firefox-3-features/
>>

>> That looks great, it'll greatly improve the marketability of
>> microformats.  One thing though - and if you could tell me the correct
>> place to let the Mozilla folks know about this - they should be
>> careful about changing the cursor for a microformat - sometimes an
>> hCard, for example, will be the whole page, or at least a large
>> portion of it, so no matter where the cursor is it'll be in the
>> microformat state.
> I'm the one to talk to. And yeah, I think the cursor isn't so good for
> that reason. I'm still waiting for someone to come up with the
> "perfect" microformats UI.
I think that since users now know that you find RSS through the Firefox
UI and not on the webpage itself often then it should be the same with
microformats.
What if I hide some of my microformats just because I have replaced it
with an image on another part of the screen?
That doesn't mean that my microformats shouldn't be parsed - they should
be and since they can't be showed on the webpage they have to be showed
in the adressbar or similar like with the RSS - thats the expected place
for metadata.

There will be sort of a built in API for microformats as far as I have
understood. Therefor I think that if there should be something added to
the webpage it should be added by me after I have detected
microformat-support with javascript and can add the proper buttons myself.

Well - thats my thoughts - hope it gives something.

/ Pelle