[uf-discuss] Re: XFN for email addresses?

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 08:45:36 PDT 2007

I suppose this is where graph theory has to come in to some degree and
afford immediate lapses as such, for, in the example you described, if
somewhere there exists a reference, say on theryanking.com, that
points to that email address using rel-me, we'll be able to apply some
kind logic that would, in the least, be able to say that that URL has
laid an unverified claim to that email address.

Interestingly, this is, to some degree, the problem that MicroID was
trying to solve, albeit with hidden meta tags.

I agree that the lack of transitivity with email "endpoints" make them
very weak from a claims perspective, and I agree that we can do
better, but given that Technorati and the like still require a
verified email address to open an account, I don't see this behavior
going away anytime soon.

One goal of mine to develop a replacement for those "add friends from
your address book" widgets, which are so seductive and therefore so
dangerous. People are being trained to enter their email and password
on almost every new social network; in the case of Gmail, that
username/password combo access far more than just your mail (think:
Google Checkout, web history, etc). This is extremely dangerous. If we
could instead train people to type in a URL-pointer to their list of
friends, authenticate remotely, and then pull down the list of
contacts, including email addresses as necessary, we'd have a much
safer social web.

Chris