[uf-discuss] XFN for email addresses?

Pelle W mejllistor at kodfabrik.se
Fri Jun 15 00:19:25 PDT 2007

The two concerns that I can come up with is that if one site wants an
e-mail adress for their xfn-links and another wants an url then I all of
the sudden have to identities without connection between them. The
solution to that would be the ability to specify both e-mail and url for
the same person - could this perhaps be done with an hCard?

The other concern is that an e-mail often has to be written with some
kind of a spam-protection - how does that relate to having it as an
identification string? I often write foo(SNABEL-A)bar(PUNKT)se when I
write mails on my site and then I parse them with JavaScript so that it
becomes a real adress in the end - this should protect me from non
javascript enabled spambots. The question then is - what mail should xfn
"see" - the parsed or the non-parsed? And what if one of my friends adds
me and chooses a different spamprotection?

The easy solution would be to have a personal unified spamprotected mail
- but then no one else than persons can mail them, not even the sites
which I may register my e-mail to. What if say Last.fm for example would
like to implement this XFN on their users friends list. They need to
protect their users' emails but they haven't had their users specify
their own spamprotection. Should they then demand a personal
spamprotection from each user? Should they skip it or choose on of their
own?

The only real solution would be to adopt a personal spamprotected mail
in addition to the real mail for each user - right? And then that string
could be almost anything that uniquely identifies the user - their phone
number, their pets name, a public encryption key etc.

/ Pelle