[uf-discuss] uF dumped in tag soup?

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Jun 20 11:57:51 PDT 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 8:15 AM, Dougal Campbell wrote:

> Okay, so I started a new job recently.
>
> The web site and service has a lot to do with SEO. But despite
> that, the
> HTML is a mess of table-based layout and tag soup. I'm hoping I can
> change that in time, but it won't happen quickly. But one of the main
> reasons that I think it's possible to change it is because I think
> that
> the interest in microformats, and the related boost in search indexing
> from Technorati and friends, will appeal to my boss. And from there, I
> have a stepping stone to the benefits of POSH in a more general sense.
>
> So I guess my question is, if I manage to shove some microformats
> (rel-tag, hCard and hReview come to mind) into the middle of our
> ugly-as-sin markup, are we going to get raked across the coals? :)

Go for it. It's not guaranteed to work everywhere, since tag soup
parsing isn't well defined and interoperable (we're working on that,
though [1]).

Many tools use tidy or libxml2's html parsing interface, so most will
work pretty well already.

-ryan

1. http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#parsing