[uf-discuss] Empty anchor tag-pairs and accessibility (was:Questionabout telephone numbers)

Paul Wilkins paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jun 20 19:47:07 PDT 2007

From: "James Craig" <jcraig at apple.com>
> Paul Wilkins wrote:
>> Is the object tag to be used instead for the include pattern?
>
> The <object> include pattern has some performance problems, it would  be
> best to use the anchor include pattern but include some text  indicated
> the marker that was being included.

So when we have multiple phone numbers of the same type

Staff work phone numbers:
Person One
123-4567

How should they be marked up. Something like this?

    </a></p>

This feels wrong, and not the least because fragment identifiers have
received a hammering in terms of usability.
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/within_page_links.html

It's tempting to change the text (god forbid) to achieve better code.

Person One
Wk: 123-4567

        <abbr class="type" title="work">Wk:</abbr>

--
Paul Wilkins