[uf-discuss] hCard to vCard via JavaScript

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Mon Jun 25 09:11:01 PDT 2007

On Jun 25, 2007, at 9:43 AM, Rickards, Julian (NDM) wrote:

> The Tails Export add-on for FF is great but if I am inserting hCard
> "data" into my contact page, I would like to find a way to put a
> JavaScript link in my page (unobtrusive JavaScript would be perfect)
> whereby a user using any recent browser (and a vcard-compatible
> application like Outlook) could click on the link to have the contact
> information added to their contact list. Somewhat like Tails Export
> but
> rather than an extension, the link would be right in the page and
> would
> not depend on FF but work in IE too.
>
> Does anyone know if something like this has been created (didn't find
> any in my Google search)?

I don't think it's possible for JavaScript to determine if a vCard-
compatible application like Outlook is available.  But if you're
willing to leave that up to people to determine, for creating links
to vCard exports, you can link directly to one of the various hCard-
to-vCard proxy services, e.g.:

http://suda.co.uk/projects/X2V/
http://technorati.com/contacts/

Peace,