[uf-discuss] wysiwyg editors and microformats

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 09:29:29 PDT 2007

> Recently I've been thinking about how can I make it easier for my
> non-tech clients using our web based CMS to write POSH and Microformats.
> I've just written some thoughts on my blog:
> http://www.ts0.com/2007/06/posh-wysiwyg.asp
> but im wondering if anyone else has done this before? if anyone has any
> input?
>
> Adding microformat markup into db loops on big sites listing people and
> events is really useful and opens up masses of data, but if we can get
> ordinary people to start using them it'll open up a whole new world of
> really meaty data.

Full ACK, this is for me one of the biggest misconceptions about
microformats: that you can control the HTML. Most of the people I know
who write a lot of content for the web never touch HTML and have no
clue about it - and why should they? We invented CMS tools to stop
people from randomly adding their own FONT and CENTER tags.

WYSIWYG hcard editors for CMS would help allow these people to mark
things up as hcards without knowing it. I started writing a WordPress
plugin that adds something like the hcard generator below the main
entry box, but this is still too complex.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com