[uf-discuss] microformats for normal people, like my mum

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Jun 28 02:37:11 PDT 2007

In message <5171D083-9DE4-40B8-9A74-8ABC5697A20A at mozilla.com>, Alex
Faaborg <faaborg at mozilla.com> writes

>microformat UI design  for Firefox 3

>when the user hovers the mouse over an area of the page  that contains
>microformatted content, we will change the cursor to  display the
>associated application (or a generic icon if no default  has been
>selected):
>
>http://people.mozilla.com/~faaborg/files/20070426-detectionUI2/
>cursorChange.jpg
>
>The mouse cursor change will also hopefully apply to file types and
>protocols (mailto:, webcal:, etc.)

Firstly, your URLs aren't wrapping properly, in my mail client., Others'
do. Is there anything you can do to fix that, or perhaps you could also
use TinyURL or similar?

I hope that that behaviour will be user-configurable, so that it can be
switched off if desired (I do think it should be on by default, to raise
awareness).

>In our designs we avoid showing the user the microformat name, and
>focus on the associated application.  Instead of seeing "geo" or  "adr"
>the user will only see "Google Earth" (or a generic picture of  a globe
>if they haven't chosen an application yet, probably on  microformat
>green).

That default colour should change, if there's a green/ yellow/ blue
background (for reasons of contrast) or a red background (red-green
colour blindness is the most common type).

>Due to privacy concerns the browser can't expose the user's default
>applications to Web sites, so I think Web developers should be
>encouraged to design based on actions, not data.  A green button that
>says "Send to Calendar" is considerably more useable than a green
>button that says "hCal" (actually these are often red for some  reason,
>http://microformats.org/wiki/icons).

Be aware also that WCAG and other accessibility guidelines speak against
using colour alone to convey information.

>Also, I personally  think Web designers should be encouraged to use
>images instead of  acronyms.

Amen!

>In addition to being more descriptive, they localize  better.  Here are
>some I've been showing in various talks:
>
>http://people.mozilla.com/~faaborg/files/20061213-fundamentalTypes/
>fundamentalTypesStatic.jpg_large.jpg

Those look good, but I'd like to see them at the size at which they will
be used.

The "contact" icon is good for a person, but what of the subject is a
group, organisation, or venue? (differentiated by "fn org" instead of
"fn")? A different icon should be used.

--
Andy Mabbett