[uf-discuss] Date of Death in hCard

Rickards, Julian (NDM) julian.rickards at ontario.ca
Thu Jun 28 06:47:40 PDT 2007

Your proposal seems quite reasonable.

Jules

-----Original Message-----
From: microformats-discuss-bounces at microformats.org
[mailto:microformats-discuss-bounces at microformats.org] On Behalf Of Ben
Ward
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 9:39 AM
To: Microformats Discuss
Subject: Re: [uf-discuss] Date of Death in hCard

On 27 Jun 2007, at 20:33, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> There having been no comments, much less objections, I intend to
> proceed with this, using "died" as the property name, in five days
> from the time of posting.

I have no objections to this. It's a useful extension to hCard as a
'profile' format; which it is very much being used for on the web.

I would be prepared to have 'hCard profile extensions' separated from
hCard, though. There's value in the hCard spec being 1:1 with vcard,
especially with regards compatibility with desktop tools.

Although this particular extension wouldn't have a major impact on that
use, if we're to open the can of adding new fields, I'd like it
considered that we clearly separate it, perhaps into a separate
specification, citing hCard as the base and then fully specifying
additional fields.

That way it remains valid to implement hCard for the purposes of just
representing vCard on the web, and more suitable implementations could
embrace these extensions as well.

Does anyone agree?

Ben