[uf-discuss] microformats for normal people, like my mum

David Thompson microformats at fatbusinessman.com
Thu Jun 28 07:06:42 PDT 2007

Thom Shannon wrote:
> I get your point, but as Alex pointed out people are interested in this
> microformats thing but dont want to call it that, journos are refusing
> to talk about it because "the term 'microformats' would only appeal to
> developers, and not the average reader"

As it should be: the "average reader" does not, and should not have to,
care about Microformats, any more than they care about whether the site
they're viewing is coded in HTML or Flash, or whether the image they're
looking at is a JPG, a GIF or a PNG. They just care about being able to
*do things with it*.

> We need a way to get across to people that content can be lifted out of
> pages and used in useful ways, when those pages support it. And people
> need to call it something. Maybe it should just be "Reusable Information".

"The new version of our browser will let you pull contacts and events
out of web pages and into your address book and calendar."

What's wrong with that?

--
David Thompson