hCard history and extensions (was Re: [uf-discuss] Date of Death in hCard)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Jun 28 11:10:30 PDT 2007

In message <C2A93EEF.912A0%tantek at cs.stanford.edu>, Tantek Çelik
<tantek at cs.stanford.edu> writes

>For some of these I see quite a bit of utility (e.g. "gender" is often
>used in social network searches - an actual application in common use),
>whereas others seem to be merely driven by sense of semantic publishing
>completeness (e.g. date of death) and not by existing applications.

On the contrary; you have been presented with evidence *and* use cases
for date-of-death more than once; not least in the first post in this
thread.

>Finally, any time you find yourself (or anyone else) arguing a positive
>from the absence of a negative, please call it out as a logical flaw.
>
>I.e. statements of the form:
>
>"I can see no good reason why ABC
> should stop XYZ"
>
>... do not provide justification for XYZ.

Allow me to correct myself:

The justification for the hCard on that page including his date of death
(and places of birth and death, for that matter) is not negated by the
historical, almost accidental, relationship of hCard with vCard.

--
Andy Mabbett