[uf-discuss] microformats for normal people, like my mum

Joe Andrieu joe at andrieu.net
Fri Jun 29 00:04:07 PDT 2007

Alex,

I would suggest that attachments are definitely a bad idea. They imply opening or saving a completely separate document/file and
are, as you state, "danger" waiting to happen.

LiveData
HyperData
SmartData
WebData
MagicData

LiveBits
HyperBits
SmartBits
WebBits
MagicBits

Bits being a combination of both bits/bytes and tidbits.

Someone somewhere is going to name this thing. It might be a journalist. It might be FF. It could be a blogger.

The idea that there is data embedded in a web page that the browser can consistently interact with beyond the hyperlink is new.
Especially when that embedding and the interactions are consistent across many many webpages, but not all web pages.  Users will
name it something. I think people understand "data" but rarely have a need to speak of data generally--we talk about contacts or
events or people or reviews.

But when "my brain is full": it's got too much stuff. Too much data. I think people get that. Data is generalized digital bits in
some way that's useful. hCards, hCalendars, GEO, XFN and other uF or POSH generalize to data. Semantic data.

Of course, "bookmarks" were a pretty innovative metaphor.  Perhaps there is something completely different that works. Maybe
something from tidbits. Or morsels...

Anyway, good luck. I expect you might have more luck with the FF crew.

-j

--
Joe Andrieu
SwitchBook Software