[uf-discuss] microformats for normal people, like my mum

Pelle W mejllistor at kodfabrik.se
Fri Jun 29 01:19:41 PDT 2007

Alex Faaborg skrev:
>> They imply opening or saving a completely separate document/file
> The interface model doesn't necessarily have to actually match the
> implementation model, but yeah, I'm still not a huge fan of the
> attachments idea.
>
> "Pointers" for: http://tinyurl.com/278y8g
> "Hyperlayers" for: http://tinyurl.com/26mqf3
> (or "layers" for short)
Those names sound very catchy - but in my ears perhaps a bit too much
like something coming from a classic PR-campaign. At least "Hyperlayers"
- image an ad with the text "Increase your productivity with the all new
Firefox 3 now with hyperlayers". Very cool - but does it actually tell
us something?

Can't it be kept simple? Does it have to be a new name - couldn't it
rather be a description of an action - like data extraction? (Don't know
if thats the right spelling though)
That would tell what it does and it would be less PR-like and more
"honest"(?) - it's just plain simply describing what this new thing does
and that's what I think is most important. Keep it simple.
> Both of those names have previously been shot down inside Mozilla,
> ironically enough because some people felt that the interface-level
> name should emerge out of the microformats community.  In the past Web
> browsers have lagged far enough behind the evolution of the Web that
> names have already been established (like with Feeds).
Well - that is ironic :) Perhaps the "real" place for this would be
among the comments on a YouTube-movie featuring this in action or in
blogosphere? But that does however not stop us from having this
discussion...

/ Pelle