[uf-discuss] Identity-related hCards?

Joe Andrieu joe at andrieu.net
Thu Mar 1 18:25:42 PST 2007

Ryan King wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2007, at 12:23 PM, Scott Reynen wrote:
> > And maybe that's because what you're describing is actually more
> > specific that "related hCards" implies.  It seems here you're just
> > talking about a single relationship: identity.
>
> Yes. You're exactly right. I'm afraid I haven't been that
> clear. When
> I say "related hCards" I mean related in that they represent
> the same
> person or organization. I've been using "related hCards" as
> shorthand
> for "hCards that represent the same person or organization", which I
> now realize must be confusing. (but it seemed so clear in my head! :D)

Ryan,

That made me laugh out loud.  I was definitely responding to uid+url as non-identity relations earlier and it seemed perfectly clear
in my head as well. =)

So, don't equal UIDs already imply identitical hCards?

In other words, what I think we've really been discussing is how to discover hCards for identical entities, using either URL or
SOURCE (or "via", although I think SOURCE is much better).

Frankly, it seems like it would work if it SHOULD be expected that consume apps MAY use URL and/or SOURCE to look for identical
hCards.

I believe this approach allows both uid+url and uid+source to link to "related" and/or "sourcing" hCards without any of further
restrictions on the UID.

-j

--
Joe Andrieu
joe at andrieu.net
+1 (805) 705-8651

"An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered."
--G. K. Chesterton