[uf-discuss] Re: "Well-known" URLs

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 18:36:52 PST 2007

Brian Suda wrote:
> It doesn't really say that the filename HAS to be
> sitemap.org, search engines (may or maynot be crawling
> for a specific filename), but it looks like you submit
> the URL to your sitemap.xml file.
>
> http://www.sitemaps.org/faq.html#faq_after_submission
>
> i'm not sure if you are documenting practices or
> specifications?

Er, I was just creating a list of known "well-known names", but I wasn't
being all that exacting about it. I could segment the page or set up a table
to indicate the difference which I might do in the future but not now.

OTOH, it *is* on a wiki so you are more than welcome to help and update it!

> The favicon path and name can be overwritten by the LINK
> element: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon
>
> but versions of IE do not honor this and look for
> favicon.ico. Infact it doesn't need to be .ico format at
> all.

Hehe. Gotta love ya, MS! ;-P

--
-Mike Schinkel