[uf-discuss] Scraping or parsing?

Paul Wilkins pmw57 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Mar 6 13:00:24 PST 2007

From: "Mike Schinkel" <mikeschinkel at gmail.com>
> I have a book in my hands "Definitive XML Schema" written in 2001,
> published
> in 2002 and it discussed Namespaces in depth. The recommendation may have
> been last year, but it was not last year that the technology was available
> for people to use.
>
> And the fact that the major browsers can incorporate technology is an
> example of the Herculean effort from vested interests that I discussed. I
> don't know any mere mortal content author who can get the logic of XML
> Namespaces (after studying them on and off for six months, I gave up on
> them, and I'll challenge anyone on this list to be able to author a valid
> XML document that contains complex schema right without having to run
> through validation to debug it first.)

I may take you up on that challenge, but what do you mean by "complex
schema"?

My primary understanding of namespaces is that they're to help programmers
get the information then need.

So we could have an hCard namespace, and attach it to everything that is
hCard.
    xmlns:xhc="http://www.microformats.org/wiki/hcard"

Which should look something like this.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>